DIRECT AND INDIRECT SPEECH

DIRECT Bob said, 'I'm going to see my mother tomorrow.'
        
INDIRECT Bob said (that) he was going to see his mother the next day.
    
 
                Bob announced that ...     Bob declared that...   Bob added that...     Bob told me that...
              Bob said that...  Bob said to me that...   Bob told me that...

     PRONOUNS AND POSSESSIVE ADJECTIVES
       Bob said, 'I'm going to see my mother.'       =>        Bob said (that) he was going to see his mother.
      'You have bought yourself a lovely dress.'    =>   He told her (that) she had bought herself a lovely dress.

TIME, LOCATION
 'I'm going to see my mother tomorrow.'      =>    Bob said (that) he was going to see his mother the next day.
 Mark:  'I went to London last week.'    =>    He added (that) he had gone to London the week before.
 Sue:   'I must leave now!'    =>    She told me (that) she had to leave then.
 Peter: 'I don't like this house.'   =>    Peter said (that) he didn't like that house.   
 Peter: 'I can't live here.'   =>   Peter told us (that) he couldn't live there.
   DIRECT
           INDIRECT
         now    =>   then
       tonight=>  that night
      yesterday    =>  the day before / the previous day
      tomorrow    =>  the next day / the following day
 last (year, month...)  =>   the last / previous (year, month...)
 next (month, week...)  =>  the next / following (month, week...) 
  this     =>  that
  that     =>  that
  these   =>  these
  those   =>  those
  here    =>  there
  there   =>  there
 
                                                          TENSES
 Bob said, 'I'm going to see my mother.'        =>      Bob said (that) he was going to see his mother.
                                                                                      
                         DIRECT=>                     INDIRECT
future'I will always love you.'=>conditionalHe said he would always love me.
present simple.'He is ill.'=>past simpleShe said he was ill.
present continuous 'I'm leaving today.'=>past continuousHe said he was leaving that day.
present perfect 'You have bought a dress.'=>past perfectHe said she had bought a dress.
present perf. cont. 'I've been working all day.'=>past perf. cont.He said he had been working all day.
past simple 'I went to London.'=>past perfectHe said he had gone to London.
past continuous 'My friends were playing chess.'=>past perfect cont.He said his friends had been playing chess.
past perfect 'I had lost my bag'..  pas de changement
                    
MODALS
 can     => could      'She can cook delicious meals.'       He said she could cook delicious meals.
 may=> might  'It may not rain this night.'He said it might not rain that night.
 must=> had to  'I must leave now.'She said she had to leave then.